I was blessed to be able to travel to North Eastern Japan to assist in the clean up efforts since the Earthquake and Tsunami. I was so impressed with the volunteer efforts. This "tour" that I attended was organized by my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) in Tokyo. I traveled with the 2nd counselor in our branch presidency. We flew to Haneda in Tokyo from Takamatsu on Shikoku and then gathered at the Tokyo LDS temple/ Area presidency building to leave for Iwate prefecture. We traveled by bus that evening for about 8 hrs. I was exhausted when we arrived but knew I needed to muster my strength to serve that day and the coming day.
There were about 30 volunteers in our group from all parts of Japan. It was a wonderful experience. Words nor pictures can express the reality of the situation in N.E. Japan.
I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who has seen fit to spare Japan for a season from the natural disasters. This is not to say the the earthquakes, nuclear problems and other things are over, however, we continue to be blessed with the ability to assist and gradually overcome the difficulties. I am thankful for Fox and his desire to serve in N.E. Japan. Here are some pictures from my experience.
A view of some of the aftermath of the tsunami
Tsukuru Nagahama ( a guy I knew from my mission, university and after ) whom I met again after about 15 years.
Fox Ellis and some of his efforts in cleaning the aftermath. A baseball team in the background that was there volunteering with the cleanup efforts.
A view from inland out to the Pacific Ocean. There were homes in this area. Not much left.
Our volunteer group with a few of the bags of items that we cleaned up from the devastated areas.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment