Thursday, November 11, 2010
Last stop: Kyoto's Zen Temples, Kinkakuji, and Gion
We started off our second day at the Zen temple complex of Daitokuji. There are 24 sub temples in this complex, with only a few open to the public. Our favorite zen temple is in Daisenin. But they don't allow photos to be taken inside so you only get the view at the entrance.
Even within the walls of the complex you can get a sense of peace. The gardens around the sub temples are beautiful.
After the quiet zen temples, we headed over to the much more crowded Golden Pavilion, Kinkakuji.
Spencer and Holden were happy travelers and even smiled at the same time!
The temple was originally a vacation home prior to becoming a temple. It is covered in Gold Leaf and surrounded by water. ( I couldn't get the panoramic photo to load, sorry :( )
We then headed for the popular Gion Area to stroll around and take in the Japan that everyone imagines.
Then for the popular and narrow "Pontocho" a street lined with restaurants, bars, and clubs and used to be tied to the Geisha scene.
The back of Pontocho faces the river and has beautiful views, even from the outside!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How fun to have your dad come and visit! When I went to Japan, we had to leave earlier than planned and I missed going to Kyoto. I was sooo bummed! I have to go back one day. I hear spring is the best.
Post a Comment