Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This one's for the Shima!

As far as homemakers go, these countryside moms in Japan sure put the rest of us to shame. They don't need Martha Stewart just give them the project and they get it done beautifully. Whether it is making a killer Bento for their child's lunch or teaching us all that you never can have too many coordinating bags. Japan will make a homemaker out of me! I have to give my mom credit too, she drives a mean sewing machine. She taught me all I know, whether she wants to claim it or not. So my guilt for not having coordinating school bags got the best of me and I have been busy trying to redeem myself with Spencer Hos as he is the ONLY kid at school without "mom made coordinating bags".


This year Hos' new favorite is Mario. So here we have the Mario School Ensemble: a cup bag, a bento bag, a place mat, and the tall one in the back is the reusable snack bag. Of course, once Holden saw brother's "set" he picked out his fabric on the next trip to the fabric store.



Holden will be 3 this November, so he will enter school in April. Yes, a little frightening and liberating at the same time. This isn't the American preschool 2 X a week for 2 or 3 hours. We're talking Mon. to Fri. from 9 a.m. to 1:40 p.m. So he will need a coordinating bag set as well and I decided to get a jump on it. Holden's pick: ANPANMAN! Here we have the indoor shoe bag in the back (because they have shoes for indoors and outdoors and bags for them too), with the cup bag on the left, and the bento bag on the right, all on top of the place mat. Now he can be just like brother!



It can't end there because you have to have another bag for all your bags (seriously, this is the land of bags!). Usually they call it your "Monday Bag" because you have to haul all your things to school on Monday and bring them home on Friday to wash, so you need a bag to carry them all in, right? Well, here is the Mario Monday Bag for Hos. (I still have Holden's to finish;) Then, I got sidetracked....



We spent a day organizing Hos' room and we found his favorite crayons, which had been missing for a couple months (amazing what can hide in a futon closet), were barely keeping it together in their tattered box. So I took some tips from a favorite blog and this is what I came up with.



I think Hos & Holden have more fun taking the crayons out and putting them back in their new holder than actually using them. Guess that makes it a success! So here's to the Shima for her excellent sewing training which helped me rise to the this Japanese Homemaker Challenge!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

HOLY COW! You really do exist! It's good to know you are still alive! And you know what? Your mom taught me everything I know about sewing too! (Which unfortunately didn't stick too well, for I stinketh.) I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Holy Schmoly Batman, you do put Martha Stewart to shame.